Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Hamming It Up With Pumpkins

It's almost fall, and what does that mean? Prepare to be 5lbs heavier. And Christmas? 10lbs heavier.
Thank goodness for Holiday Baked Goods and New Years resolutions.
Since I'm sick and bed-ridden today, I'd like to share one of my favorite recipes for Pumpkin Pie.
First of all, pumpkin pie is simply not the same when made with canned pumpkin.
Sorry. It's true.
So, if you have some time on your hands (like I did when I made this video)
consider making your own fresh pumpkin puree.
Check out this hilarious video of yours truely showing you how to make fresh pumpkin puree.
 
 
Okay, now that you've had a laugh, and know how to make fresh pumpkin puree, here's a recipe:
 
2 cups mashed, cooked pumpkin
1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
 
*Always do spices to taste* Quite often I'll put more cinnamon and nutmeg.
 
Okay, time for my pansey admission. I use store-bought crust. I think it taste just as good...but that's just me. If you have an idiot-proof crust recipe and you want to try to sway me..knock yourself out.
 
Preheat oven 70 400 degrees. Beat pumpkin with evaporated milk, eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt. Mix well. Pour into a prepared crust. Bake 40 minutes or until when a knife is inserted 1 inch from the edge comes out clean.           
 
Bon Appetit!
 
XOXO Jaye
 
About Jaye: Born and raised in the grunge capitol, she took her love of music and poetry from the Pacific Northwest to California. Now she lives in Alameda, a quaint island town in the Bay Area. With a degree in Anthropology-emphasis in Archaeology, she’s itching to climb some more pyramids. When she’s not writing, she’s either at her day-job or taking long walks along the Alameda beach and gazing at the outline of San Francisco in the distance. Oh yes, and her heart can generally be found in Paris...
  
 
 

1 comment:

  1. LOL, you are one crazy lady! :D I have the urge to make pumpkin pie. Who knew baking could be such fun?

    ReplyDelete