Monday, May 13, 2013

Tuesday Tips... writing on the go


Busy...busy..busy. Aren't we all? Being a full-time writer takes much discipline especially when you're raising two active boys. 

 For me, writing is an all day, everyday process. I try to devote most of the school day to my craft but there is also so much promotion involved with being an author. There are days I have to dedicate to marketing, writing guest posts, maintaining my pages and blogs, answering reader emails, sending out swag, interacting on FB and helping to promote fellow authors. What? I have to write a book too?

Somehow I manage to fit it all in and be a pretty good wife and mom too. ;) I just had to learn how to utilize all of my time.

Today I decided to share some of my on the go tips.

Always carry a notebook and pen - this is something I've done my whole life. I've been pretty fortunate that the voices inside my head never stop talking. I learned a long time ago you have to listen to them. I've been known to pull off on the side of the road or in a parking lot to jot down conversations. I started Crossfire of Love on my way to Macy's. 

Netbook - this little tool comes in handy quite often. I get my hair cut and dyed every five weeks. That's a good forty-five minutes of solid writing time. I'm usually good for 2000 words while the dye does its thing. 

Printer - this may seem old fashion for my generation of authors but I still print out three to four chapters at a time, stick them in my bag and edit whenever I can. I sit at several track, baseball and karate sessions several times a week. I always make good use of my time. Nothing more exhilarating than the thrill of a red pen.

Talk to those voices - Yes, I do mean out loud. I'm a dialog girl. I try to make my characters as realistic as possible. If it doesn't sound right coming out of my mouth then it won't work for my characters either.I hold whole conversations in the car. This probably would have been awkward about five years ago but thanks to Bluetooth no one even bats an eye when I'm stopped at a red light and gabbing to myself.

Hot Shower - Some of my best ideas are born in the shower. Nothing like a hot and steamy romp to get those creative juices flowing. I came up with the idea for Make Me Stay one cold January night. Of course I would advise getting dried off and dressed before putting your words to paper. I usually hop out, sit on my bed wrapped in a towel and type what I've come up with. Sometimes I glance at the clock and wonder how my hair is dry and its two hours later.

Well, there we are. I may be a little obsessive when it comes to my writing. I never shut it down. It works for me. I love my job ;) Hopefully I've helped. I'd love to hear some of your on the go tips for writing.

Ella
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment