Saturday, May 11, 2013

Looking Forward, Looking Back



I've been busy with the final read-through of my June release, Grading on Curves. This is the first contemporary romance I ever wrote. It's the first contemporary I ever read. Ten years ago, I didn't know anything about genres, character-driven versus plot-driven stories, or the techniques writers employ to keep a reader engaged. Honestly, I didn't even know how this story would be classified when I wrote it. That came later. Turns out, I'm a romance writer.

Grading on Curves was simply a story that needed to be expressed. It was pushy, like labor pains. It interfered with my sleep and distracted me while awake. If you're a writer, or know one, you'll recognize how disengaged we can get when stewing on our stories.

Initially titled, Biology 101, this is a character-driven story that follows the evolution of a relationship from the first flush of attraction to the happy conclusion, and all that entails. The sexual content in Grading on Curves is balanced by an equally strong emotional component as the relationship deepens. There are questions that need to be asked and answered. Doubts that surface and insecurities exposed.

In the end, this is an honest and open portrayal of a man and a woman falling in love, yet still not sure where they're headed. Curt and Mia represent the triumph and passion of average people who've found one other then choose to build something special together. They are us. We are them.

I can't wait to share them with the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment