Friday, March 14, 2014

What's In The Box?

There have been many excited congratulations at Beachwalk Press this week following contract news for many of our wonderful authors. If you want to check out our coming soon page click here. As an author you really appreciate how much it means, because you understand the hard work poured into gaining that precious email. As a reader I love to hear contract news because I know another fab book will be heading my way. Without books where would we be?

This has been a question I have asked myself several times this week. But not for good reason.

I remember books were a major part of my life when I was growing up. I loved reading of adventure and getting swept away by the fantasy of it all. I would read a book then try to re-enact them. I would use cardboard boxes as secret hideaways, make a den from chairs and a sheet, search in wardrobes for Narnia. All because of books.

I'm proud to say my daughter is an advanced reader for her age. Which is great because she loves books. Except her school ones. Dull. As. Dishwater. Many of them are old and very outdated, with little chance of being able to visualize the old fashioned clothing, or being able to understand the use of language. Don't get me wrong there are books that are timeless such as Roald Dahl and Enid Blyton. But these books aren't used in school. The same happens with my teen sons. They study the same books I did at school. Again dull. Yes some works should be studied, but what about the imagination stirring ones that children actually love. Why not study Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, The Lord Of The Rings? Any that fire imagination.

Imagination is everything to me. I see potential stories in many things - even online shopping. True! I would hate that this should be lost in generations to come because of the extra pressures placed on children. I don't want my daughter stressing over how to convert a unit so she can complete a division homework. She's six! I want her to make her own secret dens and have an adventure there, otherwise how will she be able to envisage her Happily Ever After?

The boxes may need to be bigger and my fantasy world might have changed, but I still want to climb in that cardboard box and have fun. And hey, I can always imagine needing to be rescued and my hero could be whoever I want. Who would you want to climb inside your fantasy box?

I'm off to build a den so I can finish writing a Happily Ever After for my current hero and heroine. Happy Friday everyone. Have fun in and out of your imagination box!
~ Tracey

No comments:

Post a Comment