Saturday, June 29, 2013

Painted Lady


Body art has been around a long time. People have adorned themselves in lasting ways, from piercings to tattoos and the trend seems to be gaining in popularity.

I waver on tattoos, toying with the idea. If I committed, I'd have this for a very long time. What would I want? I'm a big fan of dragonflies and butterflies, delicate flowers and graceful scrolling. I'd want something quiet and unobtrusive, yet pretty in an understated way. I'm not the kind of person who likes to draw attention to myself.

However -- there's always a however isn't there? -- I'm a total wimp when it comes to pain. The nurses at my doctor's office learned early that it's a good idea to distract me just to prick my freaking finger. I have to look away because I'm all tense and we need to carry on a conversation completely unrelated to what's about to happen. I'm not proud of this. It's just the way it is. How would I possibly handle multiple pricks just to put a pretty picture on a part of my body? Good question.

Then, if I could ever make up my mind, I still have to decide where I'd want it. I like the look of them on people's ankles, except that's right on the bone. Ouch! But I don't want it on some fleshy area that could eventually distort the image as I age. Yuck. When we were on vacation in Hawaii, my son wanted to get another tattoo and he was putting a bit of pressure on me to join him. He thought I should get a tramp stamp. I hope he was kidding. I actually had to ask what that was.  My husband nixed that idea before I could.  Thank you, honey.  He said there's no need to adorn that area of my body when he likes it just the way it is.

I brought up tattoos again the other day, still mulling them over. I didn't see the point in getting one where I couldn't admire it myself, so the shoulder and back are out. I looked at my bony ankles and shuddered. Nope. Nor can I picture myself manning up to get one anywhere on my arm, especially not on the underside or near the wrist. Wimped out again. My husband did suggest I consider my breast but I think not. Too sensitive.

I suppose it's time to admit tattoos aren't for me. Maybe I'll just draw smiley faces on my kneecaps like I did when I was little. That was always cute and it didn't hurt at all!

-Tara Mills





photo credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/graphicward/DeannaWardin@TattooBoogaloo http://creativecommons.org/licenses

1 comment:

  1. I've mulled it over so long by the time I get one I will have to get something that looks good with lots of wrinkled. Maybe a lizard.

    ReplyDelete