Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Tuesday Tips


 

Hi everybody, it me Emily again! As well as writing and being a mother, I’m also a student. So today I thought I’d talk about some of the things I had to think about when I decided to go back into education, and my tips are about some things you could consider if you’re thinking you might want to do a course J

1) If you’re not sure that you can fit it into your busy life, explore your options… instead of doing the usual three year degree, I’m doing mine over six years. That way, I only do one module at a time and the assignments don’t pile up at a rate I can’t deal with. You have to be strict with yourself. For me, working around children, I have to make sure that I’m getting work done every night when their little heads hit their pillows. At first, this was tough, it was the last thing I wanted to do after a busy day, but once you get into the swing of things it’s not too difficult, and on days when I haven’t managed to get much else done, it feels great to do something productive.

2) Where can you do it? Sometimes five days in college or university just isn’t practical, especially if you have a full time job to work around, but it’s not impossible. So many places offer distance learning courses, or night classes. Go to open days and see what's on offer, it might surprise you just how many things are available these days.

3) Make use of the support, whether it’s from other students, your tutors or from family or friends. It doesn’t always take somebody who’s got a qualification in the subject you’re studying to help you out. If you’re finding something tough, sometimes all it takes is a different perspective to make everything seem a lot clearer.

4) I think this is the most important thing. Choose something you really want to do. If you’re making to decision to go back into education, you’re going to be a lot more committed to something that you actually enjoy rather than something you feel like you should study. Think about what you want to achieve with your life, and what’s going to really help you get there, and then go for it.

5) Believe in yourself. You can do it!
Thank you all for reading. Have a great Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment