Saturday, March 30, 2013

Stockings

In one of my recent releases, I'd written a scene where the heroine is undressing after work. She's rolling her stockings down her legs while talking with the hero, who's leaning against the door jam watching her. I thought nothing of it at the time. I've lived this scene hundreds of times myself.  Imagine my surprise -- while working through my edits, to run across a comment from the editor questioning me about women wearing stockings these days. She thought it was unusual. Is it?



I see nylons and hosiery sold all over the place. They have areas specifically set aside for stockings in department stores. You can spend a heck of a lot of time looking through all the choices. The color options, patterns, styles, and cuts are incredible. Being a very fair woman myself, I prefer to wear hosiery. My legs are simply too light otherwise. I also don't like to go barefoot in my shoes, if I can help it.


The weird thing is, hosiery is a good gift. It isn't simply functional. My husband's bought me quite a lot of it. He loves thigh highs, with or without garter belts. He's even presented me with fishnets. Not that I'd buy them for myself, but I'll gladly wear them for him, if asked.

So you can see why it would seem so strange to have to go to bat for hosiery, especially given the scene and how he watched her removing them. Maybe I should write another scene, this time where the hero asks the heroine to put them on because he loves how silky they feel against his skin too.

Are stockings passe? I think not.



 

8 comments:

  1. While I don't wear them, the scenery is hot I bet. Its fantasy. Keep it in! I think it will be a great scene. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they can really set a mood. I love 'em.

      Delete
  2. I think it just your editors opinion. I still wear them and know many woman who do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this article & stockings/hosiery, Tara!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never understood the whole "go without stockings" fad. I've said for years the only woman in the world with legs good enough to go without is Kate Hudson, and since I'm not Kate I always wear them. Yes, even in summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tara - I am a total stocking gal! - Always! And they HAVE to have seams!
    I buy them in bulk - about 20 pairs at a time wholesale. They are my number 1 feel good item.
    So yes, Yes YES!!!!
    Thanks for this wonderful post x x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seams are pretty sexy. I'm partial to black hosiery. It looks fantastic on a nice leg.

    ReplyDelete