Monday, November 7, 2011

My Pen Name

Hi! I wanted to share this post that I had for my current book tour. Its a very special post to me. And actually Saturday was 1 year ago that the event you read in my post took place.

Like most authors, I use a pen name. Coming up with a pen name isn’t as easy as it seems. It’s like getting a chance to be your parents and name yourself. This is your second identity. The name a big part of the world is going to know you by. Really, it’s a lot of pressure to get it right. First, I thought I would use my middle name with my last name, but there was already an author out there with that name. So, that wasn’t going to work. I wanted some part of my name in it so it would still feel like me.

Well, one day it just clicked, Lacey Wolfe. I can now think of myself as Lacey. It took a while. It felt so strange to create an email and a twitter account with this name. To put my picture there and see my face when all I wanted to see was my cat. Yes, you read that right. It was eleven years ago when a small, one week old kitten came into my possession. A fuzzy gray and white fur ball. I named her Lacey and she was like my first child. I bottle fed her and kept this cute little kitten alive. In November of 2010 I lost Lacey to cancer at the age of ten. I am so grateful to have had ten wonderful years of love from her and when her name popped into my head for a pen name, I knew it was perfect. In a way for me, it lets her stay alive in my heart.

So, what that being said, when I first started seeing my picture next to the name, Lacey Wolfe, it took an adjustment. I know I could not have picked a better name. Hopefully she would feel the same way.

Thank you for letting me share this.

See you next Monday,
Lacey

2 comments: